Friday, April 20, 2012

Imitation Chinese Takeout

I am not going to name names, but suffice it to say I'm never going hesitant to order Chinese takeout from any establishment in my town. And because, on occasion, my husband and I are in the mood to watch a movie while eating our food out of cardboard containers with chopsticks, we've had to improvise. 

Fortunately for us, it appears that Six Sisters love to improvise as well. I've now tried two of their homemade, healthy(er) Chinese food recipes and really thought both of them were super! One of them even allowed me to show my face again at Eric's office pot lucks (recall the banana episode). 

The Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken was awesome. I made it once at home for dinner and then again for the most recent office pot luck because we liked it so much. By following the veeeery simple recipe, you'll get yourself some tender chicken bites with a delightful crisp.

Please forgive the awful picture...

The other recipe I tried was the Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken. Honey sesame chicken is one of my personal favorite takeout foods. I have to say that this rendition was good, but didn't imitate Chinese takeout quite as well as the Sweet & Sour chicken recipe did. This, of course, has a lot to do with the fact that the Honey Sesame Chicken recipe does not direct you to fry the chicken at all. Recipe pros: very tasty, very easy, and healthier because not fried; cons: doesn't quite satisfy the takeout craving as well. If you have a hankering to be bad (gasp, flash-fried foods) with honey sesame chicken, I'd suggest using the cooking technique from the sweet & sour chicken recipe with the (slightly adapted) sauce from the honey sesame chicken recipe.

1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or not, or more)
*sprinkle sesame seeds on chicken before serving

So, as for the Chinese takeout/movie date night checklist...

movie: check (thank you Netflix)
food: check (kudos to the Six Sisters for figuring out a way to  make easy, gooey, Chinese takeout at home)
chopsticks: check
my date: check (note: the checklist does not indicate order of importance)
cardboard containers: work in progress
fortune cookies: to be continued...






No comments:

Post a Comment