Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday Mornings

On Saturday mornings, I make the coffee and Eric makes breakfast. It's tradition. After years of watching my dad make one of our breakfast favorites, Eric has put his own spin on the technique. He made this recently when our friend, Caitlin, visited. After she returned home, I received a text that said, "That bagel/egg/seasoning recipe is my new favorite breakfast!" So...I thought I should share it with you!

Breakfast Thing
Eric's variation on Ali's theme.  
two bagels, toasted & coarsely chopped
5 eggs
milk, a splash
1 tablespoon fresh herbs, finely chopped (we like oregano & rosemary, but basil, thyme, cilantro, really anything would be good, "with the exception of parsley," said Eric, "because it looks pretty but doesn't taste like anything.") 
1-2 tablespoons butter 
salt
pepper
a little shake of Cajun seasoning (we like Tony Chachere's)


Crack eggs into small mixing bowl. Add a splash of milk, salt & pepper (about a 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper...you can always add...you can never subtract!).


Beat eggs, like you would for a scramble, until they're light & fluffy. Add finely chopped herbs.


Coarsely chop bagels (or bread of your choice, but you need a dense bread with some chew to it).

Melt butter into pan on medium heat, put bagel pieces into pan to soak up butter and continue toasting. Lightly salt & pepper bagels. Let bagels toast for a minute or two, then add egg mixture to pan. Turn heat to medium-low. Stir as needed to cook eggs through.





Serve and enjoy!

Oh, and I always shake cinnamon onto my coffee grounds in the coffee maker (a lovely trick I learned from my mom), but this morning, in a sleepy haze, I accidentally grabbed the chili powder instead...and shook. Vigorously. Good thing I'm not responsible for the big jobs on Saturday mornings!

Eric scooped most of it out with a spoon. And the stuff he couldn't get gave our coffee a little extra kick!


Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment